Things We Are Available to Consult About

  • Individualized Solutions for Local Churches
  • Methodism 101: Holiness of Heart and Life
  • Hiring and Firing - Never Hire Anyone Just to Help Them!
  • Starting New Worship Services/Experiences
  • Reaching Young Adults
  • Capital Campaigns
  • Starting New Sunday School Classes (Thank You Margaret Ann and Susan)
  • Secret Worshipper - Seeing Your Church through Fresh Eyes
  • Hospitality
  • Administration for Excellent Pastoral Care
  • Leadership
  • Evangelism
  • Children's Sermons
  • Preaching without Notes
  • Preaching Planning
  • Worship Planning
  • Long Range Planning
  • Five F's - Faith, Family, Finances, Fidelity and Fitness
  • Natural Church Development
  • Existing Church Development
  • Faith and Film
  • STORM - An Acronym for Reaching New Folks
  • CRIME - Another Acronym for thinking through Ministry
  • DISCIPLE Bible Study
  • Stewardship - Learn about the perforated pledge card

Friday, June 27, 2008

Things I wish I had said

In a recent sermon I quoted Dave Benson who had quoted Rob Bell,
"if you don't like diversity you are not going to like heaven." Then I went a step further and said "If you don't like diversity you are probably not going!" I got a letter from someone this week, with these words:
I've never considered myself racist, was "taught" to love everyone the same and have tons of black friends, but recently I found that my judgment of other" was put to the test. Well . . . in your blunt way one Sunday you said, "If you don't like diversity, you probably won't like heaven very much . . . in fact, if you don't like diversity, you may not MAKE it to heaven." Well, Phil . . . I have to tell you that was God speaking to me directly and after some time in deep prayer, I made and continue to make major changes in the way I see and love others . . . it was such a feeling of relief and a great step toward being more like Christ. I've shared that statement with others and hope that we can call take it to heart.
I had prayed and prayed that the church
I was serving would be more a reflection of the 
diverse community in which we live and those prayers are coming true. 
How did it happen? By the grace of God. 
By being intentionally inviting to everyone. 
Strangely this was one of the keys: 
By inviting Neighborhood Associations to meet at the church
in the sanctuary, welcoming those folks and inviting them to come back. 
I can trace the growth of our church in these subdivisions to the time of these first meetings. 
Some churches see this as a chance to charge for the use of the building, 
my prayer is that is will be seen as an opportunity to reach the community for Christ.

No comments:

Sting Ray City

Sting Ray City
Cheaper than Shark City

The Meeting of the Rivers

The Meeting of the Rivers
The Confluence of the Old and New - The Amazon Begins